[PLUG] spontaneous reboots

plug.9.faster at spamgourmet.com plug.9.faster at spamgourmet.com
Sat May 22 22:43:02 UTC 2004

John Meissen (john at meissen.org) typed this ...
> On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 11:57, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > Hi folks, long time no e-see,
> >
> > For the last 3-4 days my machine is rebooting on its own.  It shuts
> > down at 6:32-ish and is back up at 6:43-ish.  I've been
> > troubleshooting this, but I could use some help.  Here's what I've
> > done so far:
>
> I had a system that was spontaneously freezing/rebooting. It turned out
> that the processor fan was bad.

I have a client who had a box in colo that would reboot at about the
same time every day. Turns out that the power cord had gone bad and when
the UPS truck went past the back of the building where his cabinet was,
it would shake the cord enough to disconnect.

I doubt that your problem is a bad power cord, but I would NEVER have
checked the power cord on my client's colo box. One of the support guys
bumped the cord when plugging a keyboard in (and after plugging in the
monitor on the crash cart) and watched it reboot.

Strange but true.

I also had a SCSI disk that would fail every 44 hours, plus or minus 2
minutes. That might have been a failing capacitor, but it wasn't worth
investigating. I just got a new disk.

--Kurt