[PLUG] Fedora RC2 warning...

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Sun May 23 23:56:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-22 at 13:14, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> > From: "Vincent Yau" <v_yau3 at hotmail.com>
> >  >Ahh... when I saw that there, I thought to myself "Self, I'll bet that
> > >fubar's up nvidia drivers." ...sure enough, I was right.
> > >
> > >Also, small correction; it isn't a 4K patch, it's a mainline kernel
> > >option.  You don't need to remove any patches, just change one quick
> > >thing in your .config.  :-)
> >
> >    I did uncheck that option in .config but
> >   apparently, in the new 2.6.6 kernel, that 4k stack option is permanent
> >   and no longer configurable...
>
> Hmm, the mentions I saw elsewhere didn't overstate the issue. Not only
> did they ship a 4K stack kernel, but they deliberatly removed the ability
> to revert this from their kernel source RPMs.
>
> They knew:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2004-April/msg01454.html
>
> Best easily findable answer:
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26745

They also forgot that a few other video drivers use god-awfully huge
structures that they pass on the stack.  (ATI's driver had such
problems.  Thankfully the big bit on the end it no longer used and could
be dropped.)

> So you can go for vanilla kernel source, otherwise you have to manually
> edit the kernel source RPM, and remove the application of the
> "linux-2.6.5-nostack.patch" patch. There have been a couple mentions that
> CONFIG_REGPARMS *may* also cause problems.

I have been seeing all sorts of nasty problems with 2.6.5 from FC2.

I am now using the 2.6.6 kernel from Rawhide.  It is being much more
responsive on my dual AMD.  It also fixes the apic problems.  (Or so I
have been led to believe.  We will see if they come back.)

The Rawhide RPMS can be found at ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/ in the
development tree.

--
We are living in the "interesting times" the fortune cookies warned us
about.