[PLUG] Re: Accessing WAP

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue May 25 10:21:01 UTC 2004

Rich writes:

>   At the clinic a couple of weeks ago, Kurt and Russell helped me configure
> the LinkSys/Cisco WAP. We gave it the static IP address of 192.168.55.200. I
> now have this unit patched to one of the ethernet switches and I've tried to
> access it so I can add the WEP code.
>
>   Mozilla tells me that it cannot connect to http://192.168.55.200. When I
> try the default IP address, 192.168.1.1, mozilla hangs until it times out. I
> also tried as root, but that didn't work either.
>
>   I must be doing something wrong that's so simple I cannot see it. Can
> someone let me know what step I've missed?

If all else fails, you can always reset the WAP and set it up again.
This may be required if you made WAP changes that you didn't write down.

I will assume you have either the recommended WRT54G or BEFW11S4.  These
units are nearly identical for routing configuration.  It is easiest to
do all this with a single straight-through ethernet cable from your
setup machine to one of the WAP's 4 LAN connections.  I will refer to
the setup machine as SETUP.

Unless you made changes to the contrary, you can only access the Linksys
WAP from the LAN side, not the WAN side.  That means the router will
only talk configuration to addresses it believes are on the subnet
it controls.  If you set up the Linksys with 192.168.55.200 as a
configuration address, then it must also be configured so that
192.168.55.xx is part of the internal address space.  Also, SETUP
should be configured to route 192.168.55.xx to the ethernet connection
that is wired to the WAP.   The output of /sbin/route from SETUP would
be handy for debugging this.

You can test the connection with a PING to 192.168.55.200 .  If you
get "no route to host" from SETUP, then you are not routing on SETUP
correctly.  If you get no response to the ping, then the WAP is on
a different address than you thought.  If you get a response to ping,
but no configuration web page, I suggest you try browsing to
http://192.168.55.200:8080 , which is an alternative port for the
configuration web page, and may have gotten enabled when you were
setting something else on that page.

If you decide to reset the WAP, write down what you do.  I can write
up the details of setting up the WAP from scratch, but I do not have
time now.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993