[PLUG] Anyone ever crack a Vaio laptop case?

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Tue May 25 16:13:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 16:03, Ken Benderly wrote:
> The hard drive in my Sony Vaio pcg-505tr crashed hard.  I tried cracking
> the case, but I can't separate the hinge assembly from the lower half.
> This prevents me from accessing the guts and the hard drive.  Useful
> tips would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ken

Yeah, I've done it a number of times on my (other) PCG-68P.  I ran into
a similar problem where, after I'd take out every single screw I could
find, I still couldn't get it open.  The culprit turned out to be a
rather cantankerous sticker on the inside of the case, undoubtedly there
to prevent you from pretending you didn't just void your warranty ;-P
However, cracking the case wasn't necessary  on my laptop as there was a
somewhat hidden hard-drive access panel on the bottom.  Not sure if
you're in the same boat, but poke around for a while and make sure
you've removed every single screw, there are undoubtedly a number of
hidden ones.  Often times innocent looking rubber feet will actually
hide screws.  Occasionally there will be one under a sticker (but
usually not and you can typically tell without removing the sticker).
Of course, YMMV.

Basically, Sony goes to a lot of trouble to keep you out, and for good
reason.  In my experience there is usually an easier way of accessing
both the hard drive and memory that actually opening up the entire case.
--
Shahms King <shahms at shahms.com>