[PLUG] old tape formats

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed May 26 10:14:01 UTC 2004

I have some 12 year old tape images made by Novaback, a backup program
for DOS and Windoze.  The bits are intact, but the original tapes,
drives, machines, and software that made these images are long gone.
(Some years ago, I dd'ed the ancient DC300 tapes onto newer media, and
have images for those that did not erupt in brown vapor).

Now I want to get at a file I made in 1992.  While I have the Novaback
image, as bits, I don't have a program to take it apart.  I imagine I
could decode the backup file format and eventually write a program to
extract the file, but perhaps somebody in the world has already done this.

Any suggestions where to look for programs, or just the tape format?

Keith

----
BTW, I have done this with other, even older tape formats.  It is a
fun puzzle to solve, but it is time consuming and I don't have the
time right now.  I can still read old DUMP and TAR images from the
same era, so this is another reason why open source and open standards
are superior to proprietary standards.

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993