[PLUG] spontaneous reboots

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Wed May 26 10:42:02 UTC 2004

I let my problem child computer run overnight after booting from
a tomsrtbt floppy.  It rebooted just as before, which I believe
tends to indicate that my installed OS and disk drives are not
likely the culprit to the reboots.  Then while sitting at the
computer my house experienced a brief power hit, not even long
enough to reset the microwave clock.  But the UPS barfed and the
computer shut down.  Just a couple months ago this didn't happen.
The UPS I have is old enough, as is the monitoring software, that
I didn't get any software warning of a low battery condition.  I
thought to check the turn-on time of my programmable thermostat.
It's set for 2 minutes before reboot time.  I'm in a sea of
circumstantial evidence!

I'll be replacing my UPS.  It turns out that APC has a trade-up
program, and I can trade in all 3 (different brands) of my weak
UPSs for new APC units.  They pay for shipment of the old ones
back to them, and I pay for shipment of the new units to me.

Thanks for the help folks.....