package requirement handling (was Re: [PLUG] TK/TCL Wish Question)

gepr at tempusdictum.com gepr at tempusdictum.com
Wed May 26 15:51:01 UTC 2004

Josh Orchard writes:
 > Thanks.  I did figure it out.  TK was not installed.  Now here is an
 > odd thing.  I had first selected 'Everything' to install then after
 > seeing that was 6GB I decided to not do that and just select items
 > that I wanted installed.  So going though it all I actually ended up
 > selected everything that was selectable from the above install list
 > and this was only 4GB.  HMM.
 >
 > Okay, what they list as 'Everything' is a lot different then if you
 > actually select everything from the options.  Don't get that at all.
 > Very odd if you ask me.
 >
 > But I did get TK, TIX, and TCLX installed.

I've been told that the stepchild distributions like Fedora and RedHat
have greatly improved their package management.... The guy who told me
that is one I trust enough such that his comment _almost_ sparked me
to try out RedHat again... The package mgmt was the primary reason I
always recommended Debian (back when people used to ask me about such
things ;-).

Is it true or false that the package mgmt on those systems is greatly
improved?  For those of you who use both Debian and the RPM-based
distribs, are they as good as Debian now?

--
glen e. p. ropella              =><=                           Hail Eris!
H: 503.630.4505                              http://www.ropella.net/~gepr