[PLUG] IM Servers

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu May 27 09:55:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 00:20, Chris Jantzen wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:11:24PM -0700, AthlonRob wrote:
> > Everybody in group A subscribes to the Group A group.  Now they're on
> > that list and that list is in their contact list.  Now to set up their
> > contact list, they just subscribe to the proper group and it's done,
> > they don't have to subscribe to each individual person.
>
> Ahh. So kinda like how the AIM servers download all your contacts to
> you whenever you install fresh.

That functionality is already in Jabber.  This would make it easier to
add a whole slew of contacts to your list that automatically updates
itself as other new members join or existing members leave....

> > Jabber 1.4 has such support, called mod_groups, but it doesn't seem to
> > work anymore, you lose yoursubscription when you log off.  :-\
>
> Maybe try a different client? Like GAIM?

I did... I've tried psi, GAIM, and tkabber.  It half-works with gaim
because gaim stores the contact list locally.  If everybody used gaim,
it *might* work, but I don't think it would continually update itself as
it should.

It's a bug in Jabber nobody seems to care about except for me.  After I
posted to the Jabber Admin list about the issues with the setup, I
received an off-list email from somebody stating *they* were shocked no
other IM services support said functionality, including Jabber, and that
it was one of the top requests they had for *their* servers, which
include IM functionality (and are adding this shared groups support in
the next release).

Rob