[PLUG] LED printers with linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu May 27 11:16:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Uses the PCL5c language, same as a Color LaserJet, which is well-
> supported under Linux.

Aaron,

  I noted that it does use PCL5; the linuxprinter.org site doesn't list that
model, however.

> Never used the color LED printers, but Oki's B&W LED models are IMO some
> of the best printers around.  Very crisp output, cheap consumables and
> quite durable.

  I'm trying to find the cost of the consumables. Not that easy. May require
a call to Okidata. (I had an Oki dot-matrix printer that I sold to a former
associate. It's still working perfectly after 20 years with one replacement
print head. Great products.)

  A serious reservation, however, is weight: 72 kg! That's 159 pounds --
without the duplexer (which I don't need for color in any case). That is a
_very_ heavy printer for a SOHO.

> Wonder if there's a continuous-ink system for it?

  I doubt it. Ink cartridges have expiration dates (about 2 years) and the
printer refuses to run if a cartridge is expired. PITA! I don't know about
the print heads, but when replacing the expired black cartridge didn't print
the entire length of an 11"x17" page in portrait mode I bought a replacement
black print head. That solved that problem.

  The color printer is used only for producing maps that accompany reports
and permit applications. I just don't use it that frequently. But, when I
need it, the tabloid-size paper is exceptionally valuable for clarity of
presentation. And, some agencies require maps to be that size, too.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>