[PLUG] Movie trailers

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu May 27 18:26:02 UTC 2004

Mel Andres <mel97215 at comcast.net> writes:

> I was demonstrating some features of Linux to our son-in-law last night.
> All was going well until he asked me to play a movie trailer for
> spiderman 2. He led me to a link at movies.yahoo.com, quite long so I
> won't paste it into the email. When I click on the link, a window pops
> up titled "Media Helper" that supposedly scans my system looking for the
> appropriate plugin. After a bit it asks me to choose my player and
> connection speed, with two choices. 1. Windoze media player
> 2. Real Player (but the button for this selection is grayed out.)

RealPlayer sucks anyway.  If you're using Debian, be sure to have
w32codecs installed.  It's non-free, but you'll be able to play all
the funky, proprietary codecs you're likely to come across.

You will need Christian Marillat's apt repository in your
sources.list to get that package.

# Media codecs, etc
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main

--