[PLUG] Richard M. Stallman On Tuesday, June 8 will give a speech at Portland State University

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu May 27 20:10:03 UTC 2004

Dan> [...] However, Richard Stallman has *no* right to tell others
Dan> what to call their distro. [...]

I think if you read closely, he is *asking* people to call it
GNU/Linux.  He might also be choosing to cooperate more with people
who do.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Just plain "Linux"
really only accurately refers to the kernel.  The choice "GNU/Linux"
for the kernel plus the rest of the operating system is somewhat
arbitrary, just as any other choice is.  I personally try not to judge
other people for the name they give it.  The important thing is that
it exists and that it is Free Software.

Anyway, now we've got at least 4 cents.

Jeme> Certainly makes it easier for people to know what they're
Jeme> getting once you're also distributing GNU/Hurd and whatever
Jeme> else.

Dan> I won't hold my breath for that one. :)

FWIW, I've run it.

seniorr at aracnet.com