[PLUG] Gentoo running, filesystem and sound trouble...

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Fri May 28 16:37:02 UTC 2004

I got a working gentoo system by not optimizing anything at all.

How do I fix the audio so that I can use it as a non root user?
I've tried supplementary group audio on my user account, but
that doesn't seem to work.  I get can't open /dev/dsp errors
with a normal user.  Is there a way to install the
installation guide and other docs, this is my first gentoo
system where I'm migrating from Redhat.

The filesystem trouble involves trying out Reiser.  I corrupted
it the first time I rebooted, but it repaired.  I think it didn't
umount properly.  What does the proper fstab entry look like
for a reiser partition?  I put portage on it's own reiser partition
when I realized that a 1.5 to 2 gig /usr is tight for a basic
system.

I have since tarred my portage partition and could change it to
ext3, but I'd like to keep it as reiser.

Can portage use an nfs mounted source code repository so that if
multiple systems run gentoo, the newest code from abroad only
has to be fetched once?

Hopefully this will work better on my laptop better than Redhat 9
does, so far so good.  I haven't tried getting Maple 9.02 for Linux
installed yet.  That might take installing Maple to Redhat 9 again,
tarring it up, and then moving the binaries over.  I don't think the
install script will recognize gentoo.

The problem with Redht 9 even on my desktop box has been
instability.  I think some of the libraries may be the wrong
versions, etc.  Seems that the 2.4 to 2.6 transition hasn't been
very clean.