[PLUG] Gentoo running, filesystem and sound trouble... sound resolved.

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Fri May 28 20:05:03 UTC 2004

AthlonRob wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 16:26, Michael Robinson wrote:
>

>>How do I fix the audio so that I can use it as a non root user?
>>I've tried supplementary group audio on my user account, but
>>that doesn't seem to work.  I get can't open /dev/dsp errors
>>with a normal user.  Is there a way to install the
>>installation guide and other docs, this is my first gentoo
>>system where I'm migrating from Redhat.
>>

>Well, WHAT ARE THE ERRORS?  If you are going to say you got errors, it
>is best to also list out exactly WHAT the errors are, you know?  We
>can't psychic.  ;-)

Like I said, can't open /dev/dsp.  I added the audio group to my user
account,
it works now.

I guess I needed to log out and then back in to X for the change to take
affect.
I have mail access on my laptop now, this will allow me to post future
errors.

I'm attaching the kernel config for my running kernel.  I think I'm running
devfs, it's in there if I am.

I'll give the reiser tip a look, though I'm wondering if gentoo's init
scripts need specific lines added for shutdowns and halting?

     Michael Robinson