[PLUG] Gentoo running, filesystem and sound trouble...

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri May 28 22:09:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 15:13, Michael Robinson wrote:
> What essay will tell me how to deal with the difficulties I've
> encountered on this
> list lately?

Absolutely.  If you followed the advice in the essay, generally
speaking, you would find far less people consider you a troll or kook.

>  As far as properly asking questions goes, there's no excuse for being
> unduly
> harsh with someone who doesn't.

IMHO, nobody has been unduly harsh to you on this list.  As far as I'm
concerned, you've deserved every flame you've received, and you've
dished out as much crap as you've received.

> As far as a preamble, everyone knows what /dev/dsp is.  I couldn't
> post the actual error at the time because I wasn't emailing the list
> from the machine it was happening on.  Yeah, I probably could
> have done sneakernet.  Permission problems are obviously
> common though.   Noone has to answer a  question here.
> Certainly it's okay to ask me for more information.

Generally speaking, diagnosis of a problem is really sped up with the
exact error message happening.  It helps people google for you (I don't
think you really know how to google, anyway) and to grep their minds for
the thing.

Is your laptop not network connected?

And okay in what way is it for you to ask for more information?  (Whoa,
that sounded a bit Yoda-like)... AFAIK, it's as okay for you to ask
stupid questions as it is for me to blast you for it.  :-)

> Aside: I would appreciate it if you, of all people, didn't use fubar
> because of what

Your reasoning is fubar.  :-P

> What docs are there on the permissions various gentoo programs are supposed
> to have?  What's the best way to get this information?  In the rpm
> world, you'd
> get it from the rpm.  With emerge, I don't know what to do.

Hmmm?  What do you mean, what the permissions the programs are supposed
to have?  The question doesn't make sense to me.

Generally speaking, you can determine if anything has oddball
permissions by reading the ebuild; it's mostly just bash, anyway.

Rob