[PLUG] Gentoo running, filesystem and sound trouble...

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat May 29 03:05:03 UTC 2004

E. Rogan Creswick wrote:

>For everyone's benefit:
>http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

>Michael Robinson writes:
> > helpful.  Instead of "I believe I've pointed you," how about
> > showing me again or emailing me privately?
>
>I chose my wording the way I did, and publicly, because you didn't
>appear to learn enough to ask well fromed questions when I tried to
>help you before.  The intent was to make you feel a little guilty for
>ignoring, or at least not taking seriosly, what _was_ meant as a
>friendly gesture.  I've read that essay and I learned a number of
>things from it, it was not sent in jest originally, and it is not
>sent that way now.

Make me learn, is that it?  Friends don't talk to their friends this way.
Who are you and what did you do with Rogan?  This plug list is more
like a sparring ring, follow the rules or else.  This is unacceptable.
The gentoo list is a lot longer, maybe it's friendlier.  I tried to answer
someones question though and got harangued already.

> > Yes Rogan, I have.  It wasn't working at first, but it does now.
> > As far as a preamble, everyone knows what /dev/dsp is.
>
>By preamble I meant "content other than that which is below".  For
>example, a brief description of what you are trying to do -- sure we
>could discern this from some error messages, but it's a courtesy.  It
>is something that we appreciate, which is worth taking into
>consideration when you ask for help.

That would have made the message longer.  Less impact on the list I
figured was
better.  Unfortunately, it didn't matter.

> > Aside: I would appreciate it if you, of all people, didn't use
>
>I'm not so different from everyone else.  I'll try not to use the
>term in communication with you.  Will you try to ask clearer
>questions?

You are in my book.  You may not think so, but there's a sensibility with
you that I hope you'll keep.  At the master's level, it doesn't hurt to
come off as professional.  You're smart enough, why not?  For a man
who's so far beyond me, have you lost your humility?  I refuse to be
like a man who agrees with Rob's mission to personally attack others.

Listen to yourself, I think you're stretching saying that there's
something wrong
asking for help on the plug list first.  You could have discouraged Rob
from doing
what he did, or are you aware?  This is a cold list in my opinion, I
just hope that
spamming Rob in retaliation doesn't backfire on me.  I sent Rob and
Brelin an
apology, but I'd say that Rob may very well be out of control.  I got
mobbed Rogan, you have to know that that's wrong.  Is there some reason you
agreed with Rob instead of asking that him and the others with him to
stop their
attacks?  You know me, what do you honestly think I'm trying to do that
you'd
look the other way when I'm being personally attacked?  Is this a tech
list or a
mafia list?