[PLUG] Configuring wireless.opts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 29 06:54:02 UTC 2004

  I _think_ I'm at the last stages of getting the WiFi portion of the
network going here, but I need guidance on setting up
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts on the notebooks.

  First, the local WAP configuration: WPA+shared key is enabled and a string
of 30 random digits (hex format) entered as the key. Access control is also
enabled and the MAC addresses of the WiFi cards in the two portables are
entered here. SSID and channel are defined.

  The portables both run Slackware-9.1 and the cards light up when the
systems are booted (the tech at EmperorLinux found the bad section in their
net.agent script that hung that up on my notebook).

  On my notebook I have the 3Com 3CRWE154G72 card which uses the prism54
driver. I also copied /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts to wireless.opts.local and
wireless.opts.remote so I can use the machine both here and away from the
office. However, there is no example setup in the options file for this
card; there is one for a prismII card and there is a generic one that has
placeholders for all sorts of esoteric information about which I know
nothing.

  For the .local version, should I have only the lines for SSID=, CHANNEL=,
and KEY=? Do I need anything else? For the .remote version, should I use
"ANY" for thse same variables?

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)