[PLUG] Configuring wireless.opts

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 29 07:19:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   For the .local version, should I have only the lines for SSID=, CHANNEL=,
> and KEY=? Do I need anything else? For the .remote version, should I use
> "ANY" for thse same variables?

  Update: in the local version I created filled variables. But, (and this is
the strange part) if I leave the default, original, unmodified wireless.opts
in place, when I run 'iwconfig eth1', the proper SSID, channel and WAP
HWaddress is picked up. But, when I try -- as a user, not root -- to ping
another host I see 'network is unreachable'.

  Then, to confuse me more, when I cp wireless.opts.local to wireless.opts,
bring down the eth1 interface, then bring it up again and run 'iwconfig
eth1', incorrect ESSID and channel are shown and there is no WAP HWaddress.

  I _must_ be getting closer but I cannot yet see the path to network access
(both literally and figuratively).

Suggestions?

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)