[PLUG] Just a note for the unaware.

Kenneth G. Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Mon May 31 11:08:02 UTC 2004

I was all excited about getting my 2.6.3 kernel running.  Then I tried
to start X windows.  No mouse.  I had a mouse in 2.4.x.  No mouse.  No
serial ports.  Recompiled the kernel to get serial ports.  Still no
serial ports.

Hmmmm.  Maybe there are module for the serial ports now.  There is for
the parallel ports.

Sure, enough.  /lib/modules/2.6.3/kernel/drivers/serial/serial_core.ko
and 8250.ko.  These are new to 2.6.3.  I loaded them like any other
module:  modprobe 8250 loaded them just fine.

I even got a message that /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 had interrupts
assigned.

Reran XFree86 -configure and got actually mouse action.

Neat.

Ken Stephens
CAD2CAM.COM