[PLUG] Geometric Diagrams in Lyx?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 4 23:57:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Evan Heidtmann wrote:

> I'm writing a paper in Lyx and I need to insert a couple simple geometric
> diagrams. I've tried dia and kseg.

   Good for you, Evan!

> What do you use? If you use these, how can I make them work for me?

   I looked at 7 different vector-graphics packages (including xfig which I
found had a steep learning curve for drawing the "bell" curves I need in my
book. So I ended up with "tgif" <http://bourbon.usc.edu:8001/tgif/>.

   I enter Greek and mathematical symbols directly and set the "print"
function to .eps. The figures go right into LyX with no problems. BTW, use
figure floats to insert your images and let LaTeX decide where they are best
positioned.

   Holler if you need help. Bill added my explanation of how to annotate
figures on his FAQ page. The _only_ non-easily-grokked part of the program
is learning that when you hover the cursor over an icon the explanation
shows up on the left side of the status bar at the bottom of the window, not
in a little box by the cursor.

   I have at least a couple of dozen figures in my book, all done with tgif,
and I really like it. They print beautifully using pdxlates.

HTH,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)