[PLUG] Disappearing Applications

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 7 18:39:23 UTC 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Well, I discovered part of the problem after Evan got me looking at the
> amount of RAM installed (it's 128M): for whatever reason, I did not put a
> swap partition on this the last time I re-did the OS! Mea culpa! That's
> inexcusable, but here I am with a big boo-boo.

   Aha! I wasn't that negligent. I did make a swap partition (/dev/hda8, when
it should have been /dev/hda2, but anyway ...) but it's not showing up in
/etc/fstab. I discovered this by running 'parted /dev/hda print'.

   Edited /etc/fstab and rebooted ... et voila! There's 256M of swap. Whew!
Thanks, Evan, for reminding me to look at the memory. However, since she
uses a lot of GUI apps I think I will add more RAM. The 600E will take up to
288M (that's the installed 32M plus two additional 128M modules).

   Now we'll see if them apps stay up.

Excelsior! (No, Dick, not the packing material.)

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)