[PLUG] Cannot boot into GUI login

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 7 23:29:54 UTC 2004

   OK. I need help with this one; can't figure it out myself. So far.

   I upgraded the laptop from X.org-6.7.0 to X.org-6.8.0 and fixed the "K/k"
error in the conf file. Prior to the upgrade /etc/inittab was set for
run level 4 (Slackware's GUI login) and this has worked just fine.

   Since the upgrade the machine no longer completes the boot process, It
tries to invoke X, falls back, tries again, falls back, then ends up at the
prompt "Starting X server" where it waits patiently for me to reboot the
box.

   /var/log/kdm.log tells me nothing other than it cannot find a couple of
font directories so it took those off the list and it cannot find
'libmng.so.1' which is apparently for mng graphic files (whatever they are;
I haven't any of those files and haven't seen them before. I also see
nothing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that gives me any clue.

   What's strange is that I can boot into run level 3 then run 'startxfce4'
and X comes right up. Ergo, it must be something with kdm, no?

Any ideas?

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)