[PLUG] Heterogeneous RAID on a Compaq 1800R

Steve Beattie steve at wirex.net
Wed Nov 10 16:58:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 07:47:03AM -0800, Wil Cooley wrote:
> Hmm... yeah.  I wasn't thinking of 1+0; I was thinking of doing 5 across
> 4 9-G partitions.  1+0 would only give him 18G; 5 would give him 27G and
> a hot spare.

RAID 1+0 could give him 27GB as well: one RAID 1 set across the 18GB
drives, and one RAID 1 set across the 9 GB drives; then RAID 0 (or I
suppose LVM) across those RAID 1 sets to get the full 27GB. As far as
I understand it, there's no requirement that all the disks in RAID 1+0
all be the same size. Though again, whether a hardware based chipset
will support that configuration depends on the implementation, but
software RAID under linux will allow this.

--
Steve Beattie                               Don't trust programmers?
<steve at wirex.net>                         Complete StackGuard distro at