[PLUG] VMware app printing conundrum

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 10 17:02:40 UTC 2004

   I need the collective wisdom of the group here to help me figure this out.

win98 since the printers were changed from direct (on parallel ports) to
network nodes.

   In the guest OS I changed the printer name to the current, correct one.
Tried printing a test page, then canceled the job when the printer display
asked me to load a sheet of paper in the manual feed tray. Now I can no
longer print a test page either. I'm using the proper printer names (as
defined in /etc/cups/printers.conf). Cannot print from the application,
either.

   I can, however, print to a disk file (e.g., map2.prn). But, I cannot
figure out how to send that file to the printer over the network. I tried
the standard cups way of printing a file from the command line, but that
failed:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ lpr -Pcolorp map2.prn
lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-document-format-not-supported

   In /etc/cups/printers.conf the printer is defined as:

<DefaultPrinter colorp>
Info Color InkJet 2500C
Location office
DeviceURI socket://colorp:9100

   Is there a way to copy the file to the socket?

   I'm stymied and don't know how to get printing to work again from within
the legacy win app.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)