[PLUG] [Q] alternatives

Ian Burrell ian at znark.com
Wed Nov 17 05:42:33 UTC 2004

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I think it was on this list that I first came across the alternatives
> command (RHL/FC/RHEL) and was it neat.  Now I've build a new server
> (actually 6) that is (are) using postfix (installed using yum and the
> repository at ftp.WL0.org) but alternatives --config mta only shows
> sendmail.  Not too much of a problem but several of the postfix
> support-type commands don't work (or not correctly any way).  Is there a
> hand method to get the postfix alternative installed?  My assumption is
> the rpm I got didn't do the things it needed to do to make this work.
>
> As usual pointers or clue-sticks are appreciated.

If you are using the third-party package of postfix, I bet it didn't run
the right scripts when it installed.  My FC3 postfix package runs
alternatives as part of its post-install scripts.  This might do the job
(be careful with word-wrap).

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta
/usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix 30 \
         --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/bin/mailq.postfix \
         --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases
/usr/bin/newaliases.postfix \        --slave /etc/pam.d/smtp mta-pam
/etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix \
         --slave /usr/bin/rmail mta-rmail /usr/bin/rmail.postfix \
         --slave /usr/lib/sendmail mta-sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix \
         --slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman
/usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz \
         --slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman
/usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.postfix.1.gz \
         --slave /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz mta-sendmailman
/usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.postfix.1.gz \
         --slave /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.5.gz mta-aliasesman
/usr/share/man/man5/aliases.postfix.5.gz \
         --initscript postfix

  - Ian

ian at znark.com
http://www.znark.com/