[PLUG] [Q] alternatives

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Nov 17 13:18:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Ian Burrell wrote:

> If you are using the third-party package of postfix, I bet it didn't run
> the right scripts when it installed.  My FC3 postfix package runs
> alternatives as part of its post-install scripts.  This might do the job
> (be careful with word-wrap).

Thanks Ian.

I found post-install in the /etc/postfix directory and figured this was
what should be done but a look at the contents made me think it needed to
be called from another script that set several enviornment variables.

Based on the code below I'll look at it again with brighter eyes.  Do you
know if the admin portion of alternatives is described somewhere -- on
system or off?

> /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/sbin/sendmail mta
> /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix 30 \
>          --slave /usr/bin/mailq mta-mailq /usr/bin/mailq.postfix \
>          --slave /usr/bin/newaliases mta-newaliases
> /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix \        --slave /etc/pam.d/smtp mta-pam
> /etc/pam.d/smtp.postfix \
>          --slave /usr/bin/rmail mta-rmail /usr/bin/rmail.postfix \
>          --slave /usr/lib/sendmail mta-sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.postfix \
>          --slave /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.1.gz mta-mailqman
> /usr/share/man/man1/mailq.postfix.1.gz \
>          --slave /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.1.gz mta-newaliasesman
> /usr/share/man/man1/newaliases.postfix.1.gz \
>          --slave /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz mta-sendmailman
> /usr/share/man/man1/sendmail.postfix.1.gz \
>          --slave /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.5.gz mta-aliasesman
> /usr/share/man/man5/aliases.postfix.5.gz \
>          --initscript postfix

Again thanks,
Rod