[PLUG] Exciting Fedora 3 Update

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Sun Nov 21 06:35:53 UTC 2004

Today I updated from Fedora 2 to Fedora 3; it seemed to work until I
booted. It got to Grub, got to the temporary login prompt, and promptly
went to black. Totally black, totally hung.  I  repeated this
fascinating experience several times just to be sure it actually
happened.

Fortunately, the update comes with a rescue disk, maybe they know
something.  Looking at /var/log/messages, I saw that it looked like gdm
was at fault.  I changed inittab and booted into runlevel 3 just fine.
Phew!

X had been working perfectly before so I don't know what could have
happened.  When I ran Xorg -configure it told it couldn't detect my
mouse and that I should fix that section. I tried
Xorg -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it didn't hang, so I tried startx
and  it worked, so I guess there was nothing wrong with X, although I
don't know why Xorg -configure didn't work(system-config-display) also
hung.

Does anyone what changed in FC3 to mess up gdm?
--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>