[PLUG] Exciting Fedora 3 Update

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 21 16:50:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Bill Spears wrote:

> X had been working perfectly before so I don't know what could have
> happened.  When I ran Xorg -configure it told it couldn't detect my mouse
> and that I should fix that section. I tried Xorg -config
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it didn't hang, so I tried startx and it worked, so
> I guess there was nothing wrong with X, although I don't know why Xorg
> -configure didn't work(system-config-display) also hung.

Bill,

   I no longer run distributions named after hats, but I had a similar
experience -- twice -- when I upgraded from X.org-6.7.0 to -6.8.1 on the
Slackware-10.0 boxes here. When I reported it to freedesk as a bug they
responded that it's a known irritant but not a bug because it is in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf, and that's set up by the distributors, not freedesk.

   In my case the keyboard was not found. Turns out that in xorg.conf the
device is specified as "Keyboard" while the driver is named "keyboard".
Changed the uppercase 'K' to lowercase 'k' and the problem went away.

   On my fiancee's ThinkPad the default run level is GUI but I'm using kdm,
not gdm. Xfce works just fine with the former and it allows her to shutdown
without a root password or explicit sudo instructions from me.

HTH,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)