[PLUG] ports not accessible to local network?

Brian Quade brian at brianquade.net
Sun Nov 21 17:45:01 UTC 2004

I have two machines on a network, rh9cups and fc2bind.
rh9cups runs RH9, has a printer attached, and runs CUPS as a server.
fc2bind runs Fedora Core2 and BIND as the authoritative server for the
local domain.

rh9cups resolv.conf file lists fc2bind's IP address as its first name
server, but running dig from rh9cups shows that it is using the
secondary name server (the ISP) and is not resolving any of my local
addresses.

 From fc2bind, if I run "nmap localhost" it shows 4 ports open (ssh,
domain, ipp, rndc).
 From rh9cups, if I run "nmap 192.168.123.2" it shows only 1 port open
(ssh).
(192.168.123.2 is the IP address of fc2bind)
Can a port be opened for local access only?  And if so, how can that be
changed?
Is this an incorrectly configured BIND setup?

I am wondering if this is why the print server doesn't work either.  I
had assumed it was just me because I have had trouble setting up CUPS in
the past, but since rh9cups does not even see that fc2bind has an ipp
port open I am wondering if it is the same problem.  fc2bind can see
that rh9cups has an ipp port open, but it still does not see the printer.

Any suggestions?