[PLUG] Local Colo providers

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Thu Nov 25 19:07:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 11:05 -0800, Scott Chapman wrote:
> Hey, can you tell us who haven't looked into a colo for a while what the rates
> are that you're seeing?

Sure.  I'm looking for 1U of space (I can build a 1U box for under $500)
and am only planning on using about 50GB/month worth of bandwidth, so
I'm trying to scale down lower than what most folks offer.

It looks like Kattare.com would offer it to me for about $200/mo.

Forked.net is offering me $50/mo, but asked about usage first, so I
think it's a special deal - I don't know the qualifications for the
deal.

Sterling.net hasn't gotten back to me with a price yet.  I responded to
their email asking me for more information on Tuesday night... hopefully
Friday or Monday I'll have something back from them.  They're my top
choice right now - I just hope they have a price that can compete with
Forked.

Inflow said they could work with me, but I haven't gotten around to
calling them yet.

Those are the local boys.

assertive.ca has a facility in Seattle and have a $100/mo special with a
lot of bandwidth.

Ziren sublets HE.net space - I think they have a facility in Seattle.
They offered $200/mo for 512Kbps in the 95th.

Those are all the companies who emailed me back when I asked them for
information.  There were probably another five I emailed on Monday.
ThePlanet.com, based in Texas, would do it for about $150/mo, as I
recall.  I saw several other webpages offering ~$150-200/mo with varying
amounts of bandwidth.  Kattare was the only one I can think of that
would cost me extra for the amount of bandwidth I'm using - they charge
a flat $4/GB.  To their credit, however, they offered and are now
hosting the primary US mirror for SlackSec and will continue to do so as
long as it stays under 1Mbps as measured at the 95th percentile.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.