[PLUG] FreeBSD 5.3 installation problems

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Fri Nov 26 02:44:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Robert Kopp wrote:
> This is primarily a Linux list, but I thought I'd
> experiment with FreeBSD, and after installing it (X
> working) I find a few residual problems:

First off, some very helpful mailing lists for FreeBSD are
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org and freebsd-stable at freebsd.org.
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-SUMMARY)

I can't provide much specific help, as I'm on an older version (4.9) and
using an older Radeon card (7500).  The 'stable' mailing list can be
especially helpful with hardware issues.

On the sound card issue - do you know what the correct driver for your
card is?  I think it might be the 'pcm' driver, but I'm not sure.  Is the
driver loaded?  If so, the kernel should make some noise when it finds the
card, e.g.:

  pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xb800-0xb8ff irq 10 at device 5.0 on pci0
  pcm0: sndbuf_setmap 1000, 4000; 0xf26f9000 -> 1000
  pcm0: sndbuf_setmap 5000, 4000; 0xf26fd000 -> 5000

check dmesg output.  Also, have you read the sound section of the
Handbook?
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html)
it should help you figure out in general what's going on.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com