[PLUG] SAMBA and windows 2000...

Len Icks redhat at crisponions.com
Sat Nov 27 18:30:29 UTC 2004

Technically you don't need active directory on a 2000 pro workstation as
long as you have it a member of a workgroup, when you make 2000 a member
of a domain it uses active directory, which requires a 200X domain
controller.

I cant really give you any tips on security for this set up as I usually
keep my samba pretty simple.  I have my samba server as a member of a
workgroup (which should be the same name as the workgroup on your 2000
PC) and have my security level set to user.  This lets me share folders
and printers between my 2 different OS's with minimal difficulty.

Another alternative is to move to samba 3.X, which has more features for
integrating AD and samba together in a domain type environment.

Sounds to me though like you are looking to just do some home network
sharing.