[PLUG] SAMBA and windows 2000...

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sat Nov 27 20:18:43 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 10:30, Len Icks wrote:
> Technically you don't need active directory on a 2000 pro workstation as
> long as you have it a member of a workgroup, when you make 2000 a member
> of a domain it uses active directory, which requires a 200X domain
> controller.
>
> I cant really give you any tips on security for this set up as I usually
> keep my samba pretty simple.  I have my samba server as a member of a
> workgroup (which should be the same name as the workgroup on your 2000
> PC) and have my security level set to user.  This lets me share folders
> and printers between my 2 different OS's with minimal difficulty.
>
> Another alternative is to move to samba 3.X, which has more features for
> integrating AD and samba together in a domain type environment.
>
> Sounds to me though like you are looking to just do some home network
> sharing.

I'd love to get 2000 working with 98SE, but I guess this requires a
domain setup.  Ugh.  Anyone have experience with win4lin on SUSE
as an alternative to Windows 2000?  When I was googling it said
that win4lin can run a number of 2000 applications natively on Suse.
If I end up putting significant effort into samba etc., it might
make more sense to go with win4lin or something else.

I try to use workgroup and I get an error that the servers can't
be reached for domain01 under network neighborhood.  I can try
to play with it a little more.  The good news is that printing
works without Microsoft Networking and I'm starting to wonder
if it would be more convenient to set up a private ftp or
a netware server.

Aside:

Can I use an ultra 2 scsi drive on an adaptec 2940UW controller
or I do I minimally need a 2940U2W card?  I want to move the Windows
swap file to a different hard drive in the hopes of speeding the
computer up.