[PLUG] Firefox and PDF -- again lost path to xpdf

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Nov 29 17:20:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I upgraded to firefox-1.0. Now when I want to open a pdf file to
> view using xpdf I need to manually set the path each time. In Edit
> -> Preferences -> Downloads there's nothing in the box and no
> enabled button that would allow me to associate /usr/local/bin/xpdf
> with pdf files. When I open about:config I find nothing under 'pdf',
> 'download' or 'open'. Can't find anything that looks appropriate.
>
>  If anyone knows how to set this up, please pass me a pointer to the
> technique.

Firefox seems to default to your mailcap settings (~/.mailcap,
/etc/mailcap), so you can set things there, if you'd like:

   echo "application/pdf; xpdf %s" >> ~/.mailcap

Otherwise, once you get to the "What should Firefox do with this
file?" dialog box, enter xpdf and then click the "Do this
automatically for files like this from now on" button.

At that point, you can edit those settings in the Preferences ->
Downloads dialog box.

If you're up for some serious spelunking, check out the mimeTypes.rdf
file buried in your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory tree.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>