[PLUG] Serial Port Programming

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 22:23:44 UTC 2004

On Monday 29 November 2004 2:01 pm, Vincent Yau wrote:

> I did not know that serial port turn off by default.  I am on a desktop,
> does that rule still apply?

Maybe.

The easiest way to know is to re-boot and hit whatever your machine uses to
look at and modify your BIOS settings. On one of my machines that's the DEL
key, on another it's the F1 or F2 key (I think). But, you should see some
wording to that effect on the screen. Once you're looking at the BIOS, you
will have to do a bit of digging around, since different BIOS's handle things
differently. It may be in a section labeled Advanced. What you're looking for
is something related to ports. Once you find that, look for serial or comm
ports and make sure that the one you're using is not disabled.  This should
make a lot more sense when you see it.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,