maintaining a level of professionalism (was Re: [PLUG] Getting Moz' To Use XPDF)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Nov 30 01:20:40 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Bryan" == Bryan Murdock <bmurdock at gmail.com> writes:

JVC> -- # The Unix Guru's View of Sex

Bryan> Hey, isn't this a family-friendly list?

Russell>  How do you think you get a family?  ;-)

Bryan> OK, that's kind of funny, but I am serious.  If you don't care
Bryan> about "family friendly", how about "work safe" or "conducive to
Bryan> a safe work environment", or whatever your corporate HR lingo
Bryan> for this sort of thing is.  Basically, what if my manager saw
Bryan> that email sig over my shoulder before I noticed it?

Bryan> Or am I the only corporate drone on a list full of self
Bryan> employed consultants?

This question has come up on the list several times in the past, and
various PLUG contributors have asserted their intention to speak
freely, which occasionally includes colorful language.

So, I guess if your manager saw it and asked about it, you'd have to
tell her why you read this mailing list on company time.  I assume you
have one or several good reasons that, hopefully, ought to outweigh
the chances of someone being offended.

Forewarned if forearmed, or something like that.

Also, be careful with any kernel source you might have downloaded to
corporate disk storage.  It is riddled with profanity.

seniorr at aracnet.com