maintaining a level of professionalism (was Re: [PLUG] Getting Moz' To Use XPDF)

Bryan Murdock bmurdock at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 03:56:33 UTC 2004

On 29 Nov 2004 17:20:40 -0800, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> JVC> -- # The Unix Guru's View of Sex
>
> Bryan> Hey, isn't this a family-friendly list?
>
> Russell>  How do you think you get a family?  ;-)
>
> Bryan> OK, that's kind of funny, but I am serious.  If you don't care
> Bryan> about "family friendly", how about "work safe" or "conducive to
> Bryan> a safe work environment", or whatever your corporate HR lingo
> Bryan> for this sort of thing is.  Basically, what if my manager saw
> Bryan> that email sig over my shoulder before I noticed it?
>
> Bryan> Or am I the only corporate drone on a list full of self
> Bryan> employed consultants?
>
> This question has come up on the list several times in the past, and
> various PLUG contributors have asserted their intention to speak
> freely, which occasionally includes colorful language.
>
> So, I guess if your manager saw it and asked about it, you'd have to
> tell her why you read this mailing list on company time.  I assume you
> have one or several good reasons that, hopefully, ought to outweigh
> the chances of someone being offended.
>
> Forewarned if forearmed, or something like that.

I'll consider myself warned then, and thanks for the civil reply.  It
is nice to know I'm not alone in my concern, but I understand if the
general concensus is opposed to any sort of restrictions what my
options are.

> Also, be careful with any kernel source you might have downloaded to
> corporate disk storage.  It is riddled with profanity.

Heh heh, yes, this is true, though I never noticed any after a
semester working with it at school, just after someone pointed it out
to me.  Funny how that works.

Bryan