[PLUG] MathTeX or the like.

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 1 07:20:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> Hey, any of y'all do any math typesetting?

   Yup. It's all over my book, particularly in the chapter, "Introduction to
Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic".

> What do y'all use for equations?

   LaTex via LyX <http://www.lyx.org/>. Historically, mathematical
typesetting is exactly why Donald Knuty wrote TeX in the early 1970s.

> I'm particularly interested in decent sigma notation, binomial
> coefficients, matrices, and set notation.

   LaTeX does nothing without decency.

> Something with variable styles would also be great... it seems that
> analysis and algebra want to use different symbols for the same ideas.

   Between TLC2 (The LaTeX Companion, 2nd Edition) and the 200-page pdf book
on mathematical typesetting by Herbert Voss (I believe) you can produce
output any way you want.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)