[PLUG] Tom Potter dual boots Linux and Windows

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sat Oct 2 11:03:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, Paul Mullen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:35:38PM -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > Lots of folks provide free wireless nodes already.  The plan could be
> > as simple as coordinating, mapping, and applying the appropriate
> > signage to those zones and helping organizations fill in the dark
> > spots all the while advising building construction and renovation in
> > such a way that future wireless lines of sight are not obstructed.
>
> And all those coordinators, mappers, appropriate sign-appliers, and
> advisors would all work for free, too. Who'd'a thunkit?

Well, the coordinators and advisors would likely be folks from the public
who wanted to be involved in the project for some reason (enthusiasts who
just love having wireless nodes around like the PTP or industry folks who
are getting paid to make it happen so their employer can exploit the
system for profit).  And the signage application could easily be the
responsibility of those who maintain the node which makes sense because
they'll know best where to place the signs and how, exactly, the signs
should read.  Only the type and format of the information on the signs
would be city-managed and that would likely fall on the public
coordination body to set standards.

The entire point, of course, was that the cost of that sort of effort is
quite low in comparison to the cost of building a network from scratch and
maintaining it PLUS doing all those other things.

Remember that the INTENT of public agencies is to provide a forum where
the people of a common place can get together and make that place more
like what they want than it would be had nobody known what anybody else
wanted.  The "government" portion of that system is only a narrow slice of
the whole and, to my way of thinking, largely superfluous (though not
yet entirely so).  Not all public agencies govern.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net