[PLUG] Re: starting askpass

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Oct 3 16:28:02 UTC 2004

keith morse <kgmorse at mpcu.com> wrote:

> Galen Seitz wrote:
> > Can someone tell me how gnome-ssh-askpass gets started when running gnome
> > under rh9?  I'm switching over to xfce, and I'd like to run askpass
> > at the beginning of my session.  Thus I'd like to duplicate whatever
> > is being done when running gnome.
> > thanks,
> > galen
>
> look here
>
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-openssh-client-config.html
>
> in section
>
> 15.3.4.4. Configuring ssh-agent with GNOME

Thanks very much for the tip.  That was enough to allow me to figure it
out.  Odd that I didn't find it with Google.

In case it's useful to others, here's what I did to get askpass running
under xfce4:

The version of xfce that I have installed doesn't automatically start
ssh-agent, so I went to
  http://cvs.xfce.org/viewcvs.cgi/xfce4/xfce-utils/scripts/
and downloaded version 1.27 of xinitrc and copied it to ~/.xfce4/

chmod +x ~/.xfce4/xinitrc

cd ~/Destop/Autostart

ln -s /usr/bin/ssh-add

galen