[PLUG] OT: Detecting network traffic

Charlie Schluting charlie at schluting.com
Mon Oct 4 09:34:02 UTC 2004

Vincent Yau wrote:

> traffic within my intranet.  So basically, I want to be able
> to detect all packets travelling from my D-Link router
> to each of the other 3 boxes from my linux box.
> Is there a way for me to achieve this?

You'd need to mirror all ports to one port.. and put a sniffer on that.
Most cisco switches can do this. You can get a 2900xl off eBay for ~$200.

Other than that.. a hub is really the only way, unless you ditch the
dlink and put a freebsd or linux box there to act as the router. In this
case, you'd see everything from outside->inside, but would miss internal
computer->computer traffic.

-Charlie