[PLUG] Got hacked last night - HELP!

Ovid publiustemp-plug at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 08:16:02 UTC 2004

--- Michael Rasmussen <mikeraz at patch.com> wrote:
> Restore user data from a pre-compromise backup?
>
> Russ that's hysterical.  Text files and other user created data aren't a vector
> for the crackers to get back into the system.

They may not be a vector for further intrusion, but they might certainly be a vector for further
damage.  Imagine a subtle misspelling in your resume.txt*, or numbers slightly munged in key
spreadsheets.  There could be serious repurcussions from either, assuming the cracker had
bothered.  (Admittedly, most don't, but that doesn't invalidate the need to be careful.)

Cheers,
Ovid

* I recently read about a person getting reamed at their job with a law firm because they sent a
letter to a client thanking them for 'ass*isting' (insert an 'f') instead of 'assisting.'  One
letter typos can cause trouble a-plenty!

=====
Silence is Evil            http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/philosophy/decency.html
Ovid                       http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=17000
Web Programming with Perl  http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/