[PLUG] Planning a move to debian

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 5 20:55:03 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Brian" == Brian Benson <brian.maillists at gmail.com> writes:

Brian> I usualy use this one.
Brian> http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.iso It
Brian> includes the linux base and apt.  Once the base system is
Brian> installed I usualy run: `apt-get install lynx wget vim
Brian> xserver-xfree86 xbase-clients xfonts-base icewm mozilla` and
Brian> anything else I want to be installed.  Have fun with Debian.
Brian> -Brian

I've been using this one:

  <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/>

in particular, this one:

  <http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/pre-rc2/sarge-i386-netinst.iso>

I have had mixed results with the business-card images, which are
somewhat smaller, apparently with some of the base package
dependencies slewing out from under the installer over time.  That is,
it downloads some of the base packages during the installation, but
they fail some dependency.  The netinst.iso's (about 120 meg) have
been fine and still fit easily on my small 210meg CDRW media.

seniorr at aracnet.com