[PLUG] Got hacked last night - HELP!

John Meissen john at meissen.org
Wed Oct 6 10:29:02 UTC 2004

Elliott Mitchell said:
>  Also by not forcing me to do a full distribution update every 6 months, I can
> avoid even the limited damage Debian's updates do.

I think this is a little bit exaggerated. I'm not sure what others are
doing these days, but Mandrake provides updates for a year, or 18 months
if you don't care about the GUI desktop parts. Their release schedule
is every 6 months, so you can do it to yourself that often if you want to.

Michael Rasmussen said:
> > Once you're compromised, you can't trust any binary on your
> > system, and that includes RPM.
>
> Paul (sorry) I haven't encountered a hacked rpm yet.  Certainly reinstalling
> rpm is a trivial start.

I'd be more concerned about the RPM database. If they changed that then
there'd be no way to know. It wouldn't matter if the rpm binary was OK
or not.

john-