[PLUG] Securing the Box

Garl Grigsby badd_karma at comcast.net
Wed Oct 6 10:33:02 UTC 2004

Bill Thoen wrote:

>Here's my first problem. I've got the latest update for OpenSSH from the
>Fedora Legacy site, but when I try to upgrade the rpms, I get a catch-22
>problem:

The easiest thing to do would be to install apt for Redhat. You can get
it from freshrpms.net (
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/apt-0.5.5cnc6-fr1.i386.rpm
). Once that is installed type 'apt-get update'. Then type 'apt-get
install openssh'. This will install the latest openssh and any
dependencies.  You can also pull updates from the FC1 repo's if you
want. In fact I have a system that was trigonally running RH72 that I
have upgraded to FC1 (7.2 - 7.3 - 8.0 - 9.0 - FC1 ) with no problems
using apt. Read 'man apt-get' and 'man apt-cache' for all the details.

> The hardware is old too (P-II), so RH9 is as high as I can go in
> the RedHat line. Above that, I get hardware-incompatibility errors during
> the install.

This shouldn't be an issue. I am running RH9 and FC1 on two dual Pentium Pro 200's without any problems. The only issue I've had during the install is that one of them has weird scsi-raid card that has always given me fits, no matter what distro I was installing. I've also recently installed FC1 on a pair of Dell Precision Pro 400's (P2-450). This also went off without a hitch. There should be no issue installing RH on old hardware, other than speed/memory/disk space.

Garl