[PLUG] Securing the Box (was: Got hacked last night - HELP!)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Oct 6 10:54:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:01:34 -0600 (MDT), Bill Thoen
bthoen-at-gisnet.com |PDX Linux| <...> wrote:
> Thanks for all the help and advice on what to do after my machine was
> hacked. It was an experience. Anyway, I'm back in the saddle, and would
> really like not to get shot out of it again for few days at least. So how
> do I secure this box once and for all? (Short of unplugging everything ;-)

You should head over to http://www.fedoralegacy.org/ and follow their
instructions on setting up "yum" to update your system.  This will
help keep some of the more egregious security holes plugged.

However, as I mentioned before, I would have chosen an Enterprise
Linux clone rather than Red Hat 9 since the patching support for 9
is... patchy.  :-)  Red Hat Enterprise 3 is essentially Red Hat 9, but
with extended patch support.  It runs fine on Pentium II systems, and
even runs great on my Pentium Pro box.

  -- Steve