[PLUG] RH9, adding SCSI controller/tape drive

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 14:22:05 UTC 2004

I just added a tape drive and a SCSI controller (Adaptec AHA-2940UW PCI
SCSI Controller) to a Red Hat 9 server, but RH doesn't seem to see it.
The tape drive is the only device on the cable, and is set to
terminate. I've used an identical card and a similar tape drive on
another RH9 system, but it was in the computer during the OS install.
In this case, I added the drive to an existing system.

During boot-up, the BIOS sees the controller and the tape drive. Kudzu
found the controller, and I told it to set it up, but Red Hat doesn't
seem to see the tape drive (I would expect it to be /dev/st0):

# mt -f /dev/st0 status
/dev/st0: No such device

Is there some RPM or module or something I need to add for the device
to be seen? I've tried Googling, but I don't think I'm searching for
the right things. Any idea what I need to do?

Thanks in advance,

-Scott