[PLUG] Am I slow?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Oct 7 06:36:04 UTC 2004

No, you're not slow: Mailman can be a real pain in serial port.

- It'd be helpful to know what MTA you're using (Sendmail, Postfix, or
   whatever), because that'll impact your local setup.

- What version of Mailman did you install? The latest rpm I can find
   is 2.1.5-7. Is that close?

>    You should do these steps using the account you installed Mailman
>    under in section 2 above.
>
> Is it me, or what here?  I'm reading section 2 and I'm suppose to
> have done the steps already.  Oh yeah, there is no 'account above'
> that Mailman is installed under just a list main list created.

Creation of the mailman account is handled by the rpm. Actually, the
mailman package has a ton of pre- and post-install scripting. To see
it all, try

   rpm -q --scripts mailman | less

> Is there a good set of instructions for setting up Mailman I missed
> while searching the web?  (I'm starting to really appreciate the
> 'hates-software' site.  :-)

Mailman is so heavily tied into your system's web and mail
infrastructures that it's difficult to guess what 'set of
instructions' you want. I'd be happy to try to help, but specific
questions would help me understand where you're stuck.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>