[PLUG] surriel blocked a valid email source!

Darkhorse plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Oct 7 15:08:02 UTC 2004

My sister in Germany got blacklisted by surriel on
the fourth and today.

I know that she sends to many email addresses at
once.  This results in a bulk mailing.  I wonder if
any of her other recipients aren't getting her
messages because she emails in bulk?

I check surriel and am wondering if I caused the
blacklisting myself.  The other possibility
is that mountng.kundenserver.de got blacklisted
because of someone else on her network.

Does she need to set up a mailing list and subscribe people to
it instead of sending out a bulk message?  I guess if there
was a way to offer a private reply-to address in the mailings
she would send out from a list-server, it wouldn't be too bad
an idea.  Has anyone switched from putting multiple people
on the TO: and CC: lines to using a mailing list instead
because of surriel?

Even if I stop using surriel, whose to say other recipients
she sends her message to aren't blocking it as well?  It's
valid email, I've attached the block that happened today.

If my sister is blocked, maybe other email isn't getting
through now.  Is there a way to use a RHSBL more
conservatively in Postfix so that the email is accepted,
but routed to a  junkmail folder, etc?  I'm beginning to
think that this is the more sensible approach to follow,
at least for a reasonable length of time.

I need to get a spamtrap up, but until I modify the new power
supply for my alpha I'm kinda stuck.

     --  Michael C. Robinson