[PLUG] Help on sound (was Help with Evolution)

Ron Braithwaite ron at nutriware.com
Fri Oct 8 18:13:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:42 -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 18:17 -0700, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > Did you restart gconf?  I find a good way to make sure Evolution is dead
> > (to be restarted) after I stop it is like this:
> >
> > kill `pgrep evolution`
> > kill `pgrep bonobo`
> > kill `pgrep gconf`
> >
> > ...assuming evolution is the only app you're using that uses bonobo and
> > gconf.  :-)
>
> To fully stop Evolution, there's a (new?) 'evolution --forceshutdown'.
> And you really shouldn't edit ~/.gconf files directly; use the 'gconf-
> editor' or the command-line editor.

Thanks, folks. I thought I had made it clear in a previous post that I
had gotten it working again. BUT, I didn't know about gconf-editor and
perhaps that can solve my current problem that ALSA stopped working when
I fixed the browser issue. Nope, it didn't.

OK, next question:

For some reason or another, sound stopped working right about the time I
fixed Evolution so it invokes a browser again. I have been using Alsa
for some time, but I also notice that lots of stuff depends on aRts.

I suspect that some symlink is pointed to the wrong spot or something
like that. I've checked syslog and Alsa seems to be starting nicely and
is currently running. But no sound.

Any suggestions on debugging?

-Ron