[PLUG] 1-disk system for network file transfer

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Sat Oct 9 13:25:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 12:46:52PM -0700, Evan Heidtmann wrote:
> I'm in a situation where I need to copy a directory tree over the
> network and on to a vfat partition. I don't have a cdrom, just a floppy
> drive. I don't have an OS on the system.
>
> It would be easiest to use scp, but I suppose a recursive ftp transfer
> or nfs mount would also work. What is there out there that does the job?

I'd suggest picking up a CD-ROM drive at FreeGeek, but they're closed
today.  Doing it with a floppy is an interesting challenge, since I've
yet to find a floppy distro that has ssh/scp.  But Tomsrtbt has nc,
which can be used to pipe data over the net.

So you might create the VFAT filesystem however you like, boot
tomsrtbt, bring up networking, change to the destination directory and
run 'nc -l -p 2323 | tar -zvx'

On the machine with the data, run
'tar -zvc <source-dir> | nc -q 10 <target-ip> 2323' and the directory
will wing its way across the network.

I just tried this between two Debian systems, Your Distro May Vary.

--
"Press to test."
(click)